So many people I know are all about low carb diets in an effort to lose weight, or lose body fat quickly. These diets were made for very obese people to lose weight quickly, but on a person of a relatively healthy weight it won’t be as effective and is often a very unhealthy diet. Neither a diet of meat, cheese and non-root veg, nor a diet of only fruit and salads is a good diet to follow, and is unsustainable in the long run. Your body needs complex carbs, they are good for you, and if you need to lose weight you should look at eating less processed, fatty and sugary foods and more fruit, veg and pulses.
And to celebrate complex carbohydrates in all their glory, I made the very tasty, filling and nutritious Pea & Potato Pesto Pasta. 🙂
150-200g pasta, depending how hungry you are
(I used Co-op Free From)
1 onion (I used red onion, but white would be
good or a leek would be very tasty)
10 small new potatoes
2 handfuls of fresh peas (frozen would work fine)
1 clove of garlic
175ml Soya cream
3 tsp pesto
a little extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
– Put a big pot of water on to boil for your pasta, and put the tatties on to boil in lightly salted water.
– Shell the peas, slice the onion and crush the garlic.
– Heavily salt the pasta water and put pasta in to cook.
– In a frying pan heat a little oil, add salt and plenty of pepper.
– Saute garlic for a minute. Add onion and saute until onion is soft. Add in peas until they’re coated with oil.
– Add pesto and cream to pan and stir to combine. Add in a ladleful of pasta water and stir again. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary. Leave to come to a simmer.
– Drain the tatties and slice or half, depending on size. Add tatties to cream sauce and stir.
– Drain the pasta, reserving a little more water if your sauce looks too thick. Add pasta, and water if needed, to the sauce and stir everything together.
– Serve with rocket and/or nooch, as preferred. Enjoy 🙂
This pasta is super tasty, very good for you, and you’ll be full for ages! So eat well and be healthy… and try saying Pea & Potato Pesto Pasta 10 times fast.
Namaste 🙂 x